TXCPA Austin has been providing members with professional support since its inception on January 19, 1939 as the Austin-Waco Chapter of the Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants. Eight members attended the first meeting.
TXCPA Austin separated from the joint chapter on August 13, 1940. During the 1954-55 year, the first newsletter was published and membership increased to 50 members. TXCPA Austin membership grew to approximately 100 members during the 1960-61 year.
During the 1965-66 year, TXCPA Austin scholarships were awarded for the first time to black and female high school students. TXCPA Austin received the TXCPA Outstanding Small Chapter Award in 1972-73.
TXCPA Austin received the TXCPA Outstanding Medium Chapter Award in 1974-75. TXCPA Austin elected its first woman president for the 1975-76 year.
During the 1980-81 year, TXCPA Austin established its own office as the activity center for its members. The membership grew to over 500 members during the 1981-82 year and to 1,000 members during the 1984-85 year.
TXCPA Austin received the TXCPA Outstanding Large Chapter Award in 1983-84 and started participating in the TXCPA Joint Dues Billing program.
As a result, the TXCPA Austin increased its membership by 42%, ending the year with 1,223 members and received its second TXCPA Outstanding Large Chapter Award in 1993-94.
Current TXCPA Austin membership exceeds 2,200.
The professional composition of TXCPA Austin’s membership is split 45:55 between CPAs in public accounting and those in industry, government and education.
Women are rapidly joining the ranks of a once male-dominated profession, with national estimates indicating approximately 50 percent of those entering the field today to be female.