National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI Austin)
The Austin affiliate of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI Austin) is looking for someone experienced in accounting, bookkeeping and/or finance to serve on the Board of Directors as Treasurer.
For more than 30 years, NAMI Austin has been dedicated to improving the lives of all persons impacted by mental illness through free education, support and advocacy. We serve the triad of people living with mental illness: the person with the illness; families, friends and caregivers; and professionals, including schools, nonprofits and faith communities. Our services include free educational workshops, support groups, service referrals, speaking engagements, trainings, community meetings and other outreach, making NAMI Austin a vital resource when individuals and families need a place to turn.
For the past two years, NAMI Austin has been engaged in a capacity building and infrastructure strengthening program, which has provided us with a stronger board, solid program and administrative staff, new systems and procedures and expanded programs and outreach. Our success has been dramatic: we went from serving 724 people in 2013 to 6,651 people in 2014. We anticipate serving 14,701 people in 2015. It is a wonderful time to be a part of this dynamic organization as it grows to meet the needs of the community.
Treasurer duties would include:
• Financial transaction oversight: Work with the bookkeeper/account and office administrator. Being knowledgeable about who has access to the organization’s funds, and any outstanding bills or debts owed, as well as developing systems for keeping cash flow manageable
• Bank account maintenance: help monitor accounts, sign checks, and advise board on investing excess funds
• Budgets: Work with the Executive Director to develop the annual budget as well as comparing the actual revenues and expenses incurred against the budget
• Financial Policies: Oversee the development and observation of the organization’s financial policies
• Report: Keep the board regularly informed of key financial events, trends, concerns, and assessment of fiscal health in addition to completing required financial reporting forms in a timely fashion and making these forms available to the board
• Executive Committee: Serve on the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors
Please contact Karen Ranus, Executive Director, via e-mail or by phone: (512) 420-9810 ext. 1002.