We had a great turnout for our Annual Meeting of Members and Election of Officers on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at Maggiano’s Little Italy. Our current Chapter president, Kate Rhoden, presided over the meeting and kept us on track since there was much business to cover.
Slate of Officers
Oliva Riley, Immediate Past President, introduced the new officers for 2018-2019 and requested any nominations from the floor. The members voted unanimously to approve the following slate of officers:
- President-Elect: Jennifer Brown
- Manager-Community Involvement: Lara Akinboye
- Manager-Member Services: Alex Yarger
- Manager-Education & Leadership: Paul Matthews
- Secretary/Treasurer-Elect: Bryan Morgan
- TSCPA Directors (Expires 2021): Jan Keeling, Mary Kay Robinson, Matt Malcom, Kate Rhoden
- Members-at-Large: Travis Johnston, Debra Watkins, Valerie Gray, Jessica Lopez, Kara Hamann, Carol Boyd, Chris Okafor, Ashlee Martin, Jim Pumphret
- Student or Candidate Member: Jessica Sajak
- Nominations Committee: Jesse Dominguez, Nancy Foss, Connie Clark
The Austin CPA Chapter is incredibly fortunate to have another group of wonderful volunteers to make our upcoming year successful.
The membership also approved a $10 dues increase for CPA members beginning with the 2018-19 fiscal year. The proposal was made after much discussion focusing on the unavoidable increase in rent as we renew our lease and other increasing costs associated with the running of the chapter’s office. After the increase, Austin Chapter dues are still among the lowest of all large chapters in Texas.
Kate also explained our scholarship application and awards process and introduced the 2017 accounting scholarship recipients:
- Anne Bederman, Austin Community College, Bette Williams Scholarship
- Youngeun Ha, Austin Community College, Austin Community College Professional Accountant Scholarship
- Clarke Munson, Austin Community College, Austin Community College Professional Accountant Scholarship
- Amber Bell, University of Texas-Austin
- William Blanchette, Texas State University-San Marcos
- Arnold Gonzalez, St. Edward’s University
- Kelle Huerta, Texas State University-San Marcos
- Mpho Lethoba, Huston Tillotson
- Julie Riess, University of Texas-Austin
- Samantha Wendt, University of Texas-Austin
CPE credit, too!
Our keynote speaker was Stephen Parker, CPA, TSCPA Chairman-Elect. He presented his Professional Issues Update which provided the latest and greatest about professional developments affecting the practice of accounting now and in the near future.
We appreciate all our members who attended the meeting!